After our wedding in California, where I was born and raised, Chris and I drove across the county in my SUV . . . hauling all my belongings that I could fit. If I remember correctly, we stayed in Arizona, Texas, and Tennessee; we pushed through and made it home the 4th day.
Our very first meal together in our home as a married couple was a can of Spaghetti-oh’s that Chris had in the cupboards. hahah Not being a canned foods kinda girl, I doctored it up a bit with some seasoning and made it a decent meal. 😉
Fast forward some weeks, I decide it’s time to get fancy in the kitchen so I ask Chris what meal he would like me to make — yep, the Honey Sesame Chicken dish from Disney was his first request. To work I went in the kitchen and the result . . .? It’s safe to say my new husband was thoroughly impressed 🙂 Since then, this dish has been a staple for us.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into ½ inch by 2 inch strips
Dash of white pepper powder
Salt, to taste
Sugar, to taste
½ c. water
½ c. cooking wine
2 tsp. sesame oil
- Combine the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the chicken strips and toss gently to coat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
¾ c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. cornstarch
1 heaping tbs. baking powder
1 egg white, beaten
2/3 c. water
2 tbs. oil
Pinch of salt
- Mix the flour, cornstarch and baking powder together
- Add the beaten egg white, water and oil.
- Set mixture aside for 30 minutes. Make the Honey Sauce white the batter is resting.
- Pour enough oil into a 2-quart saucepan to come to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over med-high heat to 320 F.
- Add chicken strips into the batter mixture making sure all chicken is fully coated. Using tongs or chopsticks, drop individual chicken strips into hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes each. Drain on paper towels.
- (Optional step) For extra crispy chicken, air fry the fried chicken for an additional 5 minutes before mixing in the honey sauce.
- Serve immediately with Honey Sauce.
4 tbs. honey
¼ c. sugar
2 tbs. ketchup
1 tbs. white vinegar
Pinch of salt
Honey Sauce Instructions
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- After chicken is fried, heat Honey Sauce mixture in a clean frying pan over med-high heat. Stir until mixture bubbles.
- As soon as the sauce bubbles, turn off heat and mix in chicken pieces with a spatula.
- Place on serving dish with a side of rice and consume immediately.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with chopped green onions and toasted white sesame seeds.